Adjunct Faculty, English
Chestnut Hill College
- Memoir Writing (ENGL 210): a course in CHC’s creative writing minor, following the workshop model, in which students write their own personal stories, critique each other’s work, and study the work of published authors.
- Essay Writing (ENGL 100): a course focused on the fundamentals of good writing, including grammar, punctuation, and style. Taught six basic essay structures.
Poetry Workshop Leader
Big Blue Marble Bookstore
- Facilitated biweekly, drop-in critique circle for poets of varying levels and styles.
Instructor, “Poetry as Memoir”
Mt. Airy Learning Tree, April-June 2007
University of Pennsylvania, Center for Community Partnerships, March–May 2005
- Developed 6-week class for adult writers of varying experience and ability, focused on poetry as a vehicle for personal stories and self-exploration. Implemented the class in two different adult-education settings.
Lecturer, “Haves and Have-Nots: Poetry Below, Above, & Across the Poverty Line”
Antioch University, MFA in Creative Program
Los Angeles, CA
- Conceptualized, planned, and delivered 50-minute lecture/discussion for students in Antioch’s MFA in Creative Writing Program.
Instructor, Creative Writing Class
City of Trenton, Department of Recreation
October 2003–May 2004
- Developed weekly, drop-in creative writing class for urban youth, ages 6-18.
Professional Writing Experience
In addition to teaching writing, I have worked as a professional writer and editor in the nonprofit sector and for regional and trade magazines.
June 2009–April 2010
- Contributed 1-3 arts and culture articles per month, including book and restaurant reviews, theatre and museum previews, and artist interviews.
The Arts & Spirituality Center
April 2007–June 2008
- Managed fundraising efforts for a $400K arts/education nonprofit organization. Oversaw all communication efforts and marketing materials. Assisted with budgeting, planning, and program evaluation.
- Supported nonprofit clients, including healthcare, human services, and historic preservation organizations by writing proposals, reports, templates, and letters; managing fundraising activity; researching prospects; and meeting with funders.
February 2005–August 2006
- Researched, wrote, edited, proofread, and fact-checked departments and features for monthly pharmaceutical/business magazine.
Grants Manager/Resource Development Specialist
March 2002–February 2005
- Managed grants (50–60 proposals raising $2mm annually) for a $3.7mm community development organization. Wrote, edited, and researched grant proposals, reports, newsletters, and web content. Managed direct mail campaigns, gift processing, and donor database. Managed full-time grant writer.
Business Development Coordinator/Writer
February 2001–March 2002
- Coordinated and wrote proposals, brochures, and other marketing materials for an architectural, engineering, and interior design firm.
Assistant Editor, R&D Directions and Pharma Business magazines
Engel Publishing Partners
West Trenton, NJ
June 2000–December 2000
- Researched and wrote articles and regular departments for one magazine geared toward pharmaceutical executives. Edited layout, read bluelines, converted content into British English, and helped develop style guidelines for another publication serving the international pharmaceutical business community.
Current Community Involvement
Philadelphia Writers Conference
Board Member/Web Czarina/Blogger/Editorial Staff
Mad Poets Society
M.F.A. in Creative Writing, Poetry
Los Angeles, CA
B.A. in English Writing & Communications, magna cum laude
University of Pittsburgh
Continuing Professional Education
Financial Tools for Nonprofits
The Philadelphia Cultural Management Initiative
Fundamentals of Fundraising, Fundraising Day in New York Certificate Program
Association of Fundraising Professionals
New York, NY
Proposal Budgeting Workshop
The Foundation Center
New York, NY